Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
– 1 Thess 15-18
The guy in the car next to me is staring at me. The light hasn’t turned green yet. I realize he’s noticed me talking….yelling really. There’s no one else in my car.
The stoplight is a prayer stop. Actually, any driving brings out the prayer in me. Other drivers think I’m insane.
Since I’m yelling in the car, I’m grateful God is the God of all the universe and He can take my little outbursts.
“I’m so messed up!” I yell as I grip the steering wheel. “Oh, God, please tell me what to do.”
The light turns green. I can see from the corner of my eye my driving neighbor has made a point not to look my way. Oh well.
As we talk about spring cleaning of the heart, we can’t avoid the wash rag which starts the cleaning process: prayer. Prayer provides focus. It points us in the right direction.
We Type A’s are always trying to fix things ourselves. That can be dirty business. Looking to God is a much better way to clean up.
Prayer can happen anywhere. The car is a nice private place (just be sure the windows are closed and you’re paying attention).
I have a friend who told me she prays in the shower. With kids in the house and tension tearing her apart, she escapes at nap time and washes her woes away in a watery conversation with God. (Yep, she has to leave the bathroom door open.)
God gives answers in the most unlikely places. We just need to be ready. If you’re like me, however, you may not be quiet or still enough to listen.
Next, I need to keep on praying. God doesn’t care how insignificant (or maybe stupid?) my questions and requests may be. He also doesn’t care where I am praying. He wants the connection. He wants me to pray.
Let’s get our prayer on…anywhere…everywhere. We’ll talk to God about the stuff which clutters our lives. He’ll help us clean up
- Pray wherever you are. No need for kneeling.
- Start with thanks – No matter where you are…it could be worse
- Talk to Jesus – picture His smiling face. No fancy words needed. Have a conversation.
- Listen and watch. God is giving you answers to prayer and opportunities to serve all the time, even in uncomfortable situations.
- Recognize bad thinking. The devil knows how to distract you. STOP and take those negative thoughts captive. – 2 Corin 10:5
- Look in the face of Jesus. He is smiling at you and saying, “I’ve got this.” – Matthew 11:28
- Pray. This doesn’t have to be formal. Sing it out! Shout it out! Whisper it. Silently talk to God. – 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
- Seek God‘s opinion. Pretty often, God isn’t as concerned about an issue as you are. “Do you belong to me?” He asks. “That’s enough. Rest in me.” – Romans 8:28
- Slow down. Don’t get yourself whipped into a frenzy. Consider your options in the light of God‘s word. – Psalm 46:10
- Pick a favorite Verse. I try to repeat a verse over and over in my mind. This is also a great way to memorize the good stuff and distract me from my muck. – Psalm 119:105