God knows when I need a reminder so today He sent me a sermon based on Ephesians 5:21. I get it, God. Thanks!
I taught the darn Marriage Bible Study course, by golly!
But, I’m 63 and forgetful.
I gotta remember satan’s goal is to destroy relationships.
If he can succeed in mucking up my marriage. I’ve let him win.
So listen up, satan … the Type A Lady is making a list on how to DUCK!
Marriage Tips for the Type A. …and maybe YOU!
- DON’T FORGET! The devil’s goal is to destroy the family. He loves rampaging through relationships. He’s out to mangle marriage. Your battle is with the devil, not your spouse.
2. The most empowering decision a wife can make is to DUCK. Cmon, don’t freak out – I mean duck low enough to let GOD get to your husband. If you’re always all up in your husband’s face with nagging, your gonna block the good stuff…I mean the GOD stuff.
3. Ducking (or “submitting” as Ephesians says) doesn’t mean being a doormat. As long as your spouse is not going against God’s Word – give em room to grow by showing RESPECT.
4. Let God deal with your spouse. You just deal with yourself. Believe me…I already have my hands full just managing myself. Good grief – I gotta stop trying to manage my husband.
5. God calls hubbies to love their wives like Christ loved the church – Don’t forget, guys, Jesus died for the church. What wife couldn’t respect a guy who’d die for her? Hubbies may not always get the romance stuff right…but, in essence, they DO LOVE!
6. Men equate love with respect, so sing that Aretha tune: R-E-S-P-E-C-T! – Don’t forget to respect your spouse.
7. Pray for your spouse. Give your garbage to God (He already knows your hang-ups anyway!) Then: BE QUIET AND LISTEN. He’s got something to say to you.
8. Don’t criticize. As the Bible says, “Don’t be like an unending drip.” (Proverbs 27:15) Believe me, the Type A has been a drip many times! (Shame on ME!)
9. Encourage your spouse. POWERFUL STUFF folks! Next time you’re tempted to criticize…find something GOOD to say about your buddy. They’ve done something GOOD. Focus on that.
10. Remember: Our relationships can be beacons reflecting God’s love or busts which mess up the world’s view of all things Christian.
Don’t forget to love, respect, pray, encourage and DUCK !
A constant dripping on a day of steady rain And a contentious woman are … A nagging wife is like water going drip-drip-drip on a rainy day. – Proverbs 27: 15
…always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.
Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.