God knows when I need a reminder so today He sent me a sermon based on Ephesians 5:21. I get it, God. Thanks!
I gotta remember to DUCK.
-Good grief, you’d think I’d have this memorized by now. I’ve been married 35 years.
I taught the darn Marriage Bible Study course, by golly!
But, I’m 63 and forgetful.
And besides that, the devil is having a heyday with my emotions. The result is a cranky, unpredictable me. Husband: BEWARE. Yikes!
I gotta remember satan’s goal is to destroy relationships.
If he can succeed in mucking up my marriage. I’ve let him win.
Not today, Buck-O!
So listen up, satan … the Type A Lady is making a list on how to DUCK!
BUT – before I go on…. Let me say….
* Remember I’m sharing my personal view of light-hearted annoyances. My little “Ducky” references in NO WAY replace professional counsel about BIG issues.
I humbly share some thoughts on the LITTLE stuff.
Marriage Tips for the Type A. …and maybe YOU!
- DON’T FORGET! The devil’s goal is to destroy the family. He loves rampaging through relationships. He’s out to mangle marriage. Your battle is with the devil, not your spouse.
2. The most empowering decision a wife can make is to DUCK. Cmon, don’t freak out – I mean duck low enough to let GOD get to your husband. This does NOT mean allowing abuse. If you are in an abusive relationship GET PROFESSIONAL HELP and stay SAFE!
My ducking conversation is SOLELY connected to common everyday disagreements or little annoyances… NOT big problems which definitely need intervention.
I’m talking “clean the counter” or “take off your shoes” sort of stuff. If you’re always all up in your husband’s face nagging about the little stuff, your gonna block the good stuff…I mean the GOD stuff.
3. Ducking does NOT mean being a doormat. I’m not advocating turning your back on big violations – YOU need to decide and draw healthy boundaries. Talk to God and trusted professionals if you need to.
IF your struggle is hinged to little annoying things – you might give your hubby some room to grow by showing RESPECT.
4. Let God deal with your spouse. You just deal with yourself. Believe me…I already have my hands full just managing myself. Good grief – I gotta stop trying to manage my husband.
5. God calls hubbies to love their wives like Christ loved the church – Don’t forget, guys, Jesus died for the church. What wife couldn’t respect a guy who’d die for her?
6. Men equate love with respect, so sing that Aretha tune: R-E-S-P-E-C-T! – Don’t forget to respect your spouse.
7. Pray for your spouse. Give your garbage to God (He already knows your hang-ups anyway!) Then: BE QUIET AND LISTEN. God’s got something to say to you.
8. Don’t criticize. As the Bible says, “Don’t be like an unending drip.” (Proverbs 27:15) Believe me, the Type A has been a drip many times! (Shame on ME!)
9. Encourage your spouse. This can be POWERFUL STUFF folks! Next time you’re tempted to criticize…find something GOOD to say about your buddy. They’ve done something GOOD. Focus on that.
10. Remember: Our relationships can be beacons reflecting God’s love .
Don’t forget to love, respect, pray, encourage and DUCK !
A constant dripping on a day of steady rain And a contentious woman are … A nagging wife is like water going drip-drip-drip on a rainy day. – Proverbs 27: 15
…always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her – Ephesians 5:21-25
2 thoughts on “Duck! Top Ten Marriage Tips”
Excellent post! One of the most important things I can do for my husband is keep quiet and not give him my opinion on everything! 😎
Boy… Do I ever need to remember this!
LikeLiked by 1 person